Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mommy's sorry Abbie!

073




We are in Cape Cod right now and having a great time despite not so great weather. I did not plan to post while we were here but I just had to share one story...


Yesterday the weather was pretty bad...cold, lots of rain...and wind! So after some indoor pool time we got some lunch, did some shopping, and then pretty much just drove around until it was time to eat again (what else is there to do besides EAT on a yucky day, right?) So we ended up eating dinner at a local seafood place where Greg and I ate when Sophie was just a baby. So anyway...it is the kind of restaurant where you find your own seat and they will call your number when your order is ready...well we had a great dinner (whole belly clams, yum!)...the girls were well behaved (yay!) and we were getting get ready to leave. By this time it was getting quite busy so people began to eye our table and I spotted an old lady headed our way-I think she claimed our table as soon as I started to wipe the girls clean...anyway at this point I was feeling a tad pressured to hurry up...luckily this older woman did not walk very fast so I had estimated I had about 2 minutes to finish wiping the girls, pack our stuff, and get out of there. I then took Abbie out of the highchair and stood her by our table so Greg could put the highchair back.


As I walked away I felt pretty good...we had a good dinner, gave our seat to the old woman which in return made her happy, and we were ready to leave with the girls to go back to the hotel to relax...all was good as I began to walk out the door, until Greg said, "Where is Abbie?"


OMG...where was ABBIE????


Then I looked back at our table (across the pretty large dining area) and saw my poor little Abbie grasping to the side of the chair where I had placed her as I frantically tried to meet my 2 minute deadline...she was just standing there so unaware of the fact that her mother almost left her there! And then there was the old woman who was just looking at her thinking, "when are they coming back for this kid?" And then there were the other people who were around us that saw us come in as a family of 5 and almost leave as a family of 4...I can't see to shake that image of my poor baby just grasping to a chair at a table where a strange (and not so friendly) old woman was sitting!

oh my poor poor Abbie...I am sorry my dear Abbie, I love you and would of realized you were not with us when I saw your empty carseat...mommy would not of gone far! You have to understand Mommy is just a little forgetful these days...remember last week when we were driving and daddy and I heard a loud thud as we pulled out of Wendys and I quickly realized it was mommys soda on top of the car...I'm not comparing you to a soda and please know I would never put you on top of the car but I'm just trying to explain that mommy is a little out of it these days...yeah it's not a good thing I know but I'm hoping the summer will help mommy return to "normal"


Ok I have to go hold my sweet Abbie now...

4 comments:

fleur de lis cottage said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's easy to do when you're multi tasking and feeling pressured for time. The important thing is Abbie is safe and she knows she's loved!

PS I mailed your frame on Saturday..hope you get it soon!

Jodee said...

Oh no! You poor thing! This is something I would totally do! I call them "mommy moments" or "mommy brain drain." Some day you will laugh about it!

Hope you have a great trip!

JMCS said...

I hope you are having a great time sweetie. We LOVE the beautiful barrettes for Sofia ad Samantha and thank you so much for thinking of us.

That is the funniest story about Abbie. I do things like that too, I get so busy sometimes and get the mommy mush brain. I love the picture of Abbie and I am sure she forgave you. The girls are looking so adorable as always! Hope you have a wonderful trip my friend.

Hugs,
Jonni

Justine said...

That must have been a scary moment for you (I know that heart sinking into your stomach feeling you get when you sense your little one may be in danger)! If it makes you feel better, I've never met a mom with more than two kids that didn't have a story like this and they all laugh at the stories later!